Saturday, November 6, 2010

Wardobe tales, part 2: The red cardigan

I was 11 or 12 years old when I learned all about the transformative effect of color. You see, my mother had gotten me a new, oversized (this was during the grunge era) cardigan, in a rather unusual color at the time (everyone was wearing oversized cardigans, but mostly in beige or grey and other neutral colors): red.

I was not too thrilled about it being red, but I wore it anyway. And I got so many compliments! From everyone!

That's when I realized that red was a really flattering color on me, and that wearing the right colors make all the difference. A lot of people realize this when they are much older than that, which causes them to wear extremely unflattering colors for years, and I am so glad the red cardigan prevented this from happening to me.

All the compliments caused me to learn more about colors and what goes with what, and most importantly: What suits me. So I have not been experimenting too much with colors for years. But I will still always remember that eye opening cardigan fondly (I still have it somewhere, but obviously, it is slightly too small for me now)...

(the pic is from Harper's Bazaar)

2 comments:

  1. What a wonderful story! My closet is full of the same shapes and colors-thanks to my Mom! When I was growing up, we would critically asses clothes I was trying on so that by the time I was a teenager, I didn't need to make the mistakes lots of people do!

    ReplyDelete